What is Work Based Learning?
Work-based learning (WBL) is a progressive, multi-year sequence of instructional activities that extends students’ learning from school into a real-world, work-related context. These experiences allow students to build a bridge from adolescence to adulthood.
Why are internships Important?
Internships provide valuable insights into the ‘tricks of the trade. Students will be able to witness the day to day activities of professionals in their field and what it might be like to choose their field as a career. They will also gain an understanding of how your academic studies translate into practical application.
What are the Goals of Work Based Learning?
Work-Based Learning/Internships gives students opportunities to receive authentic feedback from adults in a particular industry and guides them to:
- Identify and develop their strengths – the intersection of their interests and their abilities,
- Map a set of accessible career pathways where there is a demand for workers with their strengths,
- Develop a portfolio of accomplishments that show they play a role within a larger organization and demonstrate, for themselves, a degree of mastery in authentic settings (including professional credentials and content for resumes and application essays, etc.),
- Build relationships with adults outside the classroom – with peers and elders, mentors and sponsors who can provide a bridge into postsecondary working communities and guide students to a meaningful definition of college and career success.
- This experience will help you stand out when applying to college, your next internship or a future job.
Examples of Work Based Learning at McKee that Students Participate in:
- Career Days
- Community Service
- Guest Speakers
- Job Shadowing
- Mock Interviews
- Onsite Projects
- Resume Writing
- School based Enterprise
To receive working papers, please contact Ms. McVey at [email protected]
MCKEE’S Industry Partners
- All City Collision
- All Tire & Service – Amboy Road
- CRM Experts NYC – Remote Site
- DEMA Autobody
- Dana Ford/Lincoln
- Honda of Staten Island
- Island Auto Group
- Major League Printing
- McKee ELL Support Services – Remote
- Miller’s Launch/Miller’s Tug & Bare
- NY Tire Company
- NYPD Community Partnerships – Remote
- The Von Agency